Energy is our vitality and capacity to live life
It’s the very fuel in our tanks that drives our motivation and capability to bring our skills to life and achieve what we want to achieve. It’s the essence of living.
Energy is like a battery; it doesn’t go on inexhaustibly forever. If we use it without recharging it, it eventually goes flat, leaving us feeling physically, mentally and emotionally fatigued, all of which affects our concentration, mood, memory, creativity and performance.
Consider the following:
- Are you flagging as soon as you get up in the morning?
- Do you have an afternoon slump in energy that makes it hard for you to focus and remain cheerful?
- In the evenings, do you only want to lie comatose on the sofa, snooze and watch mindless TV?
- Are you too tired to exercise?
- Do you grab whatever food you can that will give you a quick energy boost; tea, coffee, biscuits, sweets, crisps?
If the answer is yes to 3 of these, your energy is low. Now is time to take stock and change.
My 3 Top Tips to Boost Personal Energy
Tip 1: You are what you eat so make time to eat.
Having three meals a day with a healthy snack morning and afternoon will balance your blood sugar levels.
Tip 2: Take some exercise each day.
This doesn’t have to be the gym, but can be running up and down stairs, going for a brisk walk at lunchtime or doing some squats and lunges while you brush your teeth. This increases blood flow to the brain, providing more oxygen to feed your brain.
Tip 3: Do all you can to get a good night’s sleep.
Have an electronic-sundown 2 hours before you go to bed. The light emitted from smartphones, tablets and computers suppresses the hormone melatonin, the sleep hormone.